Friday, September 4, 2015

Thoughts about History and Politics! (Originally written on November 11, 2010)

I spent yesterday looking at some documentaries - trying to find appropriate material for my kids. I am a documentary nut, and really hope to instill curiosity for history in my children. I came across several that made me think about a lot of stuff. In particular, a couple years ago - prior to pulling my kids out to homeschool them. My children came home from class on 9/11 and started questioning what "it" was after hearing a clip on the radio. I was astonished to find that it was not mentioned at all during their school day. While I understand that it can be quite sensitive for some, I think it is increasingly important that children understand as much as they can about the world. My personal philosophy is that I should expose them to EVERYTHING possible, and 9/11 certainly falls in that category. My thoughts that day prompted the following writing about how Politics have affected recent history.

As a society we have elected officials to make laws and policies to remedy societal issues. More recently those issues have much to do with the security of our nation. One Question always remains. What have we lost in the endeavor to obtain what we have gained? Often the things we hold sacred are squandered in such endeavors. We lose these things rarely knowing a loss has occurred; as much of it seems to silently fade in the face of the loudest causes. Not necessarily the most noble, righteous, or even valid causes-simply the most apparent, the most newsworthy. The spirit is slowly chipped away, the mind quiets in confusion. As answers remain illusive, I wonder where have I gone. Where have we gone, we can't even see where it is we are coming from anymore, and historys stories die one generation at a time, leaving little more than an echo of the truth that was never told.

No comments:

Post a Comment