Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A different side of the story.

I have long refrained from saying controversial things, avoided posting topics that "might" offend those that I know, and worked tirelessly to maintain calm waters within my network of friends, family, and acquaintances. I am tired - sick of holding my belief's in - as I read and listen to others' varying opinions on topics close to my heart. Tired of silencing who I am to fit in with those around me. I don't understand how (some) other's who would scream for "open mindedness" cannot, rather, will not tolerate thoughts that alter from their personal system of values. Why is it that I, an average Joanne (for lack of a better analogy), can have a conversation with a person who's values are diametrically opposed to mine, listen attentively to the points that they make, and attempt to actually place value in their positions despite my personal views - yet, I do not seem to get the same receptiveness from a large number of those very same people. I have WAY too much on my plate to continue tip-toeing around myself in order to save others from being offended. If who I am offends you - I can't help that and I am no less who I am because I do not share those thoughts and opinions - but I do stress and feel like less of myself. I feel like I have led a dishonest life - to some extent - through lies of silence.

There are some who really do  know me. In their lives I am accepted in spite of (or in some cases because of) our differences - we talk about views, we even inspire each other to look into topics we may have strong opinions of - yet shallow true knowledge. In that way, we reciprocate our friendship, acknowledge our differences, and sometimes even inspire growth in one another. We have dialogue and debate instead of arguments and alienation. I want more relationships that play to that tune!

My entire point, here - in this writing - is to say that I am going to try to be more true to who I am and what I believe: in the thoughts I share and how I interact with others'.

Love me if you will and accept me as I am. I promise to reciprocate the respect and understanding I am given. If you cannot, however, fulfill that desire then here our paths MAY part. If you go, please leave knowing that I will always appreciate the company I  had when we shared the journey and I am thankful for having had you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment